Special Service Programs

Order of the Arrow

The Order of the Arrow was founded during the summer of 1915 at Treasure Island, the Philadelphia Council Scout Camp.  Treasure Island was part of the original land grant given to William Penn by King Charles II of England.  The camp was located on a 50 acre wooded island located in the Delaware River between New Jersey and Pennsylvania. 

E. Urner Goodman was camp director and Carroll A. Edison was assistant director. During preparation for the camp they both wanted to create some form of recognition for those scouts who best exemplified the spirit of the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives.  Since the Delaware Valley was rich in Indian tradition, and the island had been used in early times as an Indian camping ground, it seemed only natural to base this society, this brotherhood of honor campers, on the legend of the Delaware Indians. 

In 1915 Unami Lodge was formed. As word spread, more councils requested information about the program. Additional lodges were formed and in 1921 the first national convention was held in Philadelphia.  In 1922, it became an official program experiment of the Boy Scouts of America.  At the National Council Annual Meeting in 1934 the Order of the Arrow program was approved by the National Council. In May 1948, the National Executive Board officially integrated the Order of the Arrow into the Scouting movement.   Click here for photo gallery.

 

Tribe of Mic-O-Say

The Tribe of Mic-O-Say is an H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation honor camping program, based upon the intensification of the principles and ideas of Scouting. Its purpose is to provide recognition for boys who have demonstrated and proven their devotion to Scouting even beyond the extra mile.  It is a boys program guided and inspired by adults.  Adult leaders are brought into the Tribe so that they may interpret and encourage the use and application of those principles in the lives of boys

In 1922, H. Roe Bartle became the first Scout Executive of the Central Wyoming Council at Casper, Wyoming.  He created an honor camping program to recognize those scouts who showed the highest devotion to the ideals of Scouting. The program was founded on the heritage, culture and ideals of the American Indian.  

In 1925, Bartle was selected as Scout Executive in St. Joseph, Missouri. In May of that year he held a special ceremony at Camp Brinton at the end of a Boy Scout training program. This simple beginning developed into the Tribe of Mic-O-Say. This honor camper program was established in the Pony Express Council and is still in existence today. In 1928, he was transferred to the Kansas City Area Council. Under his leadership the Tribe of Mic-O-Say  became a vital force in inspiring young men to live the Scout Oath and Law.  Click here for photo gallery.

Eagle Scout Associations

The Knights of Dunamis was founded in 1925 by Raymond O. Hanson, Scout Executive in San Francisco, California. Its purpose was to promote fellowship among Eagle Scouts and to retain Eagle Scouts in service to Scouting after they received their award. The program spread from coast to coast. Through the years the Knights of Dunamis has experienced periods of dynamic growth, near extinction and repeated revision of its Constitution and By-laws.  After many changes in the 1960s, the National Chapter of the Knights of Dunamis was approved by the National Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America. The ceremonies for member advancement were based on the heraldry of knighthood of old.  Click here for photo gallery.

 

The National Eagle Scout Association was founded in 1972. It maintains contact with Eagle Scouts to sustain their interest in Scouting. Any Eagle Scout may join the association and lifetime memberships are available. Members usually provide service and leadership through their local council. Men of any age who have achieved the rank of Eagle Scout are eligible to join even if they have not been active recently.  Click here for photo gallery.

 

 

 

Alpha Phi Omega

The Alpha Phi Omega is our National Service Fraternity. The first chapter was established at LaFayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania on December 16, 1925, by Frank Reed Horton and thirteen undergraduates and six advisors. Since 1925, 88,000 members have been affiliated in chapters on college and university campuses.  Alpha Phi Omega is approved by the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America as the college service organization for scouts and former scouts. The fraternity, however, is self-governing and self-supporting. The chapters render service to the student body and faculty; to youth and community; to members of the fraternity; to the nation as participating citizens.  Click here for photo gallery.